Pay Grade: Anticipated $120,000 to $140,000, based on experience and qualifications.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Lockhart, Texas (population 14,700) is conveniently located 25 miles from Austin, 48 miles from San Antonio, and just 15 miles east of San Marcos off Interstate 35. It covers 15.6 square miles and is the county seat of Caldwell County. Lockhart is 25 miles from the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, and the city has a very active general aviation airport.
The City of Lockhart is a home rule municipality operating under a council-manager form of government. The City Council is comprised of seven members, including the Mayor. Four members are elected by district and two members and the Mayor are elected at large. Members serve three-year staggered terms with no term limits. The Council hires a professional City Manager to manage the day-to-day operations of the City. The City has a total FY 21-22 budget of $38.6 million and 156 employees.
Under the supervision of the City Manager, the Assistant City Manager (ACM) will perform a variety of tasks within the organization. This position assists the City Manager in the planning, directing, management and review of the activities and operations of the City. The ACM assists City Manager in implementing the City Council’s policies and goals, recommends policies and procedures to improve efficiency of City services, and implements and executes policies as established by the elected City Council. The ACM also provides strategic direction and leadership oversight to assigned City departments and functions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Attends City Council meetings and takes necessary action regarding Council agenda items.
- Directs the activities of assigned departments by meeting with department managers to assign projects and responsibilities, review and evaluate work methods and procedures, and identify and resolve problems.
- Ensure Lockhart residents are addressed with the highest degree of professionalism and outstanding customer service.
- Provides highly responsible management support to the City Manager; provides staff support to assigned boards and commissions.
- Monitors operations within the City and assigned areas to develop, recommend, and implement both short and long-range goals concerning policies, and programs; assesses and monitors workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identifies opportunities for improvement; and directs implementation of changes.
- Represents the City and the City Manager to management staff, elected officials, and outside agencies; explains, justifies, and defends programs, policies, and activities; and negotiates and resolves sensitive, significant, and controversial issues.
- Participates in the selection, training, motivation, and evaluation of the management staff; provides or coordinates training and works with employees to correct deficiencies.
- Participates in the development and administration of the City budget; directs the preparation and implementation of budgetary adjustments as necessary.
- Prepares for and responds to various City emergency situations and serves in the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) in a variety of assignments.
- Keeps the City Council, City Manager, and management staff apprised off matters the may impact Lockhart’s plans, projects, operations, and costs.
- Fulfill the duties of City Manager during the City Manager’s temporary absence.
- Performs other related duties and leading projects as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, or related field; Master’s Degree in Public Administration preferred. Five (5) to seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in local government or the private sector, including experience with multiple operations, services, and activities in government, with at least five (5) years of management or supervisory experience. Five (5) years’ experience as a City Manager, Assistant/Deputy City Manager, or the equivalent in a comparable or larger community is preferred. ICMA Credentialed Manager a plus.
Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Possess and maintain a valid Texas Class C driver's license with a satisfactory driving record.
Compensation and Benefits:
The City of Lockhart offers a competitive annual salary range anticipated at $120,000 to $140,000, based on experience and qualifications. The City provides a generous benefits program including health, dental, life insurance, and paid vacation and sick leave. The City participates in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS) at a 6% employee deposit rate with a municipal matching ratio of 2:1.
How to Apply:
Applications may be obtained on the City website at www.lockhart-tx.org or at City Hall, 308 W. San Antonio St, Lockhart, Texas 78644. The City of Lockhart is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications and resumes/cover letters can be submitted: by mail to City Hall, Attention: Personnel, P.O. Box 239, Lockhart, Texas 78644; in person at 308 W. San Antonio St, Lockhart, Texas 78644; or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: April 3, 2023 at 5 p.m.