Home  |  Sitemap  |  Contact Us  |  Translate  | COVID-19

Development Services

Do I need a permit?

A permit is required for most construction which physically changes or adds structures to a property.


Projects that typically require permits include, but are not limited to:

  • Remodels and additions
  • Swimming pools, spas, and hot tubs
  • New construction of dwellings, decks, casitas, detached garages, storage sheds and carports
  • Plumbing repairs that require the removal of wall covering or the replacement of concealed piping
  • Repair or replacement of electrical wiring, panels, receptacles, or electrical equipment
  • Fences over 2 1/2 feet in height and all swimming pool enclosures
  • Installing or replacing water heaters, irrigation systems or water softeners
  • Installing or replacing permanent heating ventilation & air conditioning (HVAC) equipment
  • Demolishing or relocating buildings
  • Replacement of exterior doors and/or windows
  • Replacement of roof covering
  • The placement of manufactured homes
  • Installation of solar panels


Projects that DO NOT require a permit:

  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting or other similar finish work
  • Sheet rock repairs
  • Swings and other playground equipment
  • Cabinets and countertops
  • Prefabricated swimming pools less than 24 inches deep
  • Fixing water leaks or clogged drains that does not involve the replacement of concealed water or wastewater piping


Will I need an inspection?

All permits will require some type of inspection. Please call our inspection hotline at (512) 398-6431; ext. 4000 if you have questions regarding inspections.


What do I do if I have asbestos or lead in my home?

  • Texas Asbestos Health Regulations exempt residential buildings with four or fewer dwelling units and/or privately owned dwelling units being renovated or demolished from asbestos abatement requirements.
  • Commercial or public buildings being renovated or demolished must be tested for Asbestos Containing Building Materials (ACBM’s) by an individual certified in accordance with Texas Administrative Code section 296.151 prior to the start of construction or demolition.
  • Lead based paint used in homes and businesses built prior to 1978 is regulated by the Texas Health and Human Services Department, they can be reached at (512) 776-7111.


Do I need a permit to cut down a tree?

  • Trees having a circumference of 72 inches measured at 4 1/2 feet above natural grade are categorized as protected trees. It is prohibited to remove a protected tree without first securing approval from the City of Lockhart's inspection department.

Questions regarding protected trees? Call (512)398-3461.


Do I need a permit to work in the right of way?

  • For work occurring in the public right of way, such as replacing a driveway, a right of way permit is required.

Questions regarding right of way permits? Call (512)398-6452.


What are building setbacks?

  • Every property in the City of Lockhart has areas that cannot be built upon. These areas are called setbacks and they vary based on each property's zoning designation.

Questions regarding building setbacks? Contact our Planning Department at (512) 398-3461:

  Planning Director, David Fowler (ext. 2510)

  Senior Planner, Kevin Waller (ext. 2400)

  Christine Banda, Planning/GIS Technician (ext. 2430)


What if I am in the City's Historic District or the project involves a Historic Structure? 

Contact the City's Historical Preservation Officer and Senior Planner, Kevin Waller, at (512)398-3461, ext. 2400, prior to undertaking any work within the Historic District or a City-designated Historic Landmark.

Copyright © 2016, City of Lockhart, TX

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM