Having been appointed in October, 2018, Steve Lewis brings 37 years of experience in local government to the City of Lockhart. Prior to coming to Lockhart he was the City Manager for the City of Norman, Oklahoma, and, Lee’s Summit, Missouri. Other public service includes approximately ten years as City Manager of the City of Joplin, Missouri. His educational background includes a B.S. from Texas A & M University and a Master of Public Administration with a concentration in City Management from the University of North Texas.
Steve is a member of the International City/County Management Association. He also completed the Senior Executive Institute program at the Cooper School of Public Service at the University of Virginia. Steve also serves as President of the Lockhart Economic Development Corporation and is a member of the Kiwanis Club.
Steve is married to his wife of 37 years, Lesa, and they have three grown children and four grandchildren.
FORM OF GOVERNMENT
The City of Lockhart has a council-manager form of government which consists of an elected city council that is responsible for policymaking, and a professional city manager, appointed by the council, who is responsible for administration. The council-manager form, the most popular form of government, is based on the model of a business with a board of directors that appoints a chief executive officer.
In the City of Lockhart, the City Manager:
- Directs departments and the City's administrative function
- Implements City Council policy
- Develops and recommends alternative solutions to community concerns for consideration by the Mayor and City Council
- Manages the City's operating and capital improvement budgets
- Promotes confidence in city government through citizen involvement and excellent customer service
- Assures an efficient and equitable delivery of City services
||HR/Civil Service Dir.
||(512) 398-3461 x 2440
||(512) 398-3461 x 2350
||Public Information Officer
||(512)398-3461 x 2520